Weekends are made for relaxing, eating, sleeping and again eating. Sometimes husband asks me to make something different for lunch. The usual rice- gravy- curry- pickle tastes bland now. And I start to think of making something good, fast and tasty without much side dishes. One day something delicious caught my eye in a magazine.There… my special lunch recipe or the idea of a perfect lunch ??? ( I’ve made so many changes while prepping it) was ready to be cooked and served.
It’s pretty easy to prepare as you are making rice. you only have to colour them :D. The topping can vary according to your palate. So the basic idea is to cook the Basmati rice perfectly. The rest is only you have make the colourful mixture, mix with rice and arrange them as you like. Mine had three layers green, white and red. Boil the rice together and cut into three equal parts. Then add the green chutney in one ,leave the white rice , mix the red fry to the other. Sometimes things that made fast tastes much better than the well arranged cooking
Here goes the recipe
- Basmati rice – 2cups
- Tomatoes – 3 medium
- Onion -4 medium
- Turmeric powder- 1/3 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green chilly – 2-3
- Cilantro – a bunch
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
- Cumin seed – 1/4 tsp
- Sun flower oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- cardamom – 1, clove- 2, Cinnamon- 1/2 inch
- Salt to taste
- water – enough to boil the rice and grind the green chutney
Here number 3 to 7 are for red fry, and 8 to 13 are for the green chutney.
wash and soak the rice in lukewarm water for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat a deep frying pan, add some ghee in it. Once hot add the dry spices ( cardamom, clove and cinnamon). Drain the rice and add to the pan, continue stirring for 5-8 minutes. It won’t be sticky if you stir the rice in medium flame. When the rice starts to turn a bit golden add water and salt( 4 cups of water for 2 cup rice). Cover it and let it boil. Do check and stir time to time. When you see the water has almost evaporated and only a bit left in the pan. Remove the pan from stove and let it cool for sometime. Do not open the lid for 5 minutes. Your rice is done
- Cut tomatoes and onions into small cubes and stir fry them in sun flower oil. Add all the powders and some salt and your red fry is ready. Mix some rice into the red fry and your red rice is done.
- Mix all the ingredients from 8 – 13 together and grind it to coarse paste. Heat some oil throw in the coconut mix wait till the rawness goes and mix the boiled rice.Green rice is also done. ( Green rice will be pretty heavy with all the strong flavors , so please do mind and take the correct proportion of ingredients).
- And for the white rice ..either you can leave it plain or add some pineapple and pomegranate according to your taste. Its best to leave the rice much simpler and lite as the other two will be a bit spicy.
Tip : Make some egg roast or cucumber salad to go with it.