Some times I feel off when I am in the kitchen. Want to make something easy, comeback and relax. Today I did something quick for my dinner. Made Seva ( rice noodles) and Ishtu . Ishtu is similar like stew and I made Potato and Carrot ishtu. Seva is used as a snack or a main course, entirely depending on how you want to prepare it. You can fry the seva, steam or boil. Like I said, needed some quick cooking. So I did cheat. Didn’t make the seva. I had a packet of instant seva with lemon flavor in my storage.
If you have an Indian store near you, you could get seva from there. Most of the time I make seva with rice flour and I have a seva maker here at home. Don’t bother buying all that stuff, if you are interested in making seva. Instant ones make delicious meals too.
- Boil some water with some salt ( make sure your instant mix doesn’t have salt in it).
- Add the instant seva and keep it aside for a minute or as mentioned in the packet.
- Fry some mustard, cumin and red chilly with coriander and curry leaves ( add some roasted gram, but not everyone gonna like the flavor).
Seva aka rice noodles is ready to taste.
Potato and carrot Ishtu
For this you gonna need
- Potato – 3 cups ( boiled ,mashed/ cubed)
- Carrot – 1 cup ( ” ” )
- Onion – 1 cup
- Green chilly – 3-5 ( remove the seeds if don’t want too much heat )
- Ginger – 2 Inch piece ( cut into thin slices)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup ( mix 1/2 cup with vegetable stock and keep it aside)
- Cardamom pod – 2
- Black pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Clove – 3
- Sun flower / coconut oil – 3 tables spoon
- Curry leaves – a bunch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- In a frying pan heat some coconut oil. Add curry leaves and the dry masala (black pepper corn, cardamom, and clove).
- Add green chilly, ginger the onion and saute well for about 3-4 minutes. Put in the turmeric powder, Mix well let it cook for sometime.
- Mix the boiled carrots and potatoes on to the pan when the onions turn golden brown. Combine salt and the coconut milk with stock and pour into the potatoes. Simmer the flame, cover the lid and boil the mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk turn of the stove. A bit more curry leaves and Ishtu is ready to be served with lemon flavored seva.