Boiled green peas in fresh cream gravy

I love cooking, eating, and again cooking….Love to experiment with anything come in handy when I am in the kitchen. I am  an eggetarian (love eggs but not a great fan of fish and meats). So mostly 99% of my cooking has veggie dishes and the remaining 1% egg.

At first my cooking were entirely based on YouTube videos. Soups, Starters, Main course, Desserts you name it I followed everything on YouTube and other cooking channels. Then I started making dishes which entirely  came out of my head and I served it with my heart. The one I am going to share is something like that. (people… don’t come with copy right saying you invented it..we all make the same dish in one way or other !!!!). Its almost like a stew or a curry and pretty easy to make. Shall we ?.

The main Ingredient is green peas, which obviously we all buy, not a difficult thing to run around and search. I usually use the dried green peas which are soaked overnight or (6-8 hrs) depending on the time you wanna prepare it. Because it tastes great with any kind of bread, rice and also with crunchy snacks. The measurements and the  ingredients for this stew are…

  • Green peas – 2 cup
  • Onions        – 1  1/2 cup
  • Tomato    –  1 medium
  • Bell pepper green – 1  ( optional)
  • Carrot – 1 small
  • Mustard seed – 1 teaspoon 
  • Green chilli – 3-4 nos 
  • Ginger   – an inch piece
  • Curry leaves – a hand full
  • Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
  • Chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Coriander powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
  • Cumin powder –  1/4 teaspoon
  • Vegetable masala powder – 1 teaspoon
  • Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Sun flower oil  – 3 table spoon
  • Salt to taste 
  • Fresh cream – 100 ml

 

The first thing to do is boiling the peas with some salt, turmeric powder + 2 cloves and 1 inch piece of Cinnamon. If you are using dried green peas then it will be done by 4 whistles in a pressure cooker. But if you have raw peas then it will take only half time, means blow two whistles in your pressure cooker and done.

IMG_20160904_195352906

Now take a large pan, place it in a medium – high flame. Pour the sunflower oil, once the oil is hot pop the mustard seeds (my husband doesn’t like  too much mustard in a curry, that’s why I’ve taken only a tsp). Then add curry leaves following the ginger and green chillies.

It will take a minute or so for the ginger and the green chillies to loose the rawness. Now its time to add the onions. You don’t have to cut it so fine. Medium sized slices are OK for this gravy.  When the onions starts to turn slightly brown reduce the flame in to low and add the bell peppers,  which is optional because it tend to give out a sour taste, after it boils in fresh cream. Saute the mix for three minutes then mix the carrot cubes. Cover with lid and let it cook for some time (3 – 4 minutes). You can hear the splutter of the steam inside the pan and the veggies will be cooking in it. Now remove the lid and add the thinly chopped tomato (make it as small as possible, we are only adding it to give a tamarindy  kind of flavour).

By the time the vegetable mixture get in-cooperated well mix all the powders in a bowl ( add salt too) and make a thick paste with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Add the powder paste to the pan and mix well. Then add the main ingredient the boiled peas. Make sure the masala gets finely in – cooperated with all the mixture. Again cover the lid for about three minutes, and the final step is adding the fresh cream. Once you’ve added the fresh cream, turn the flame up to medium and let the cream bubble a bit (don’t make it bubble for long, only for 45 sec) . Done and done, a beautiful tasty gravy is ready.

 

TIP:

Its fine if you see the masala got deposited on the sides, it will get back to its normal state after you add the fresh cream.

I like my gravy/ curry real thick that’s why I use 100 Ml of fresh cream..if you don’t want thick gravy and are a calories freak add a little boiling water after you mix the masala paste and then add 1/4 th of the fresh cream. It won’t taste bad ( it will really taste good, trust me. make sure you don’t add normal cold water).

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s